WPL Auction 2023 : The Women’s Premier League (WPL) auction for the 2023 season took place on February 13 in Mumbai, and the UP Warriorz have emerged as the clear winners of the event. The franchise spent their entire purse of ₹12 crore to acquire a full-strength squad, which included six overseas players. The team’s acquisition of Alyssa Healy for just ₹70 lakh has been hailed as the best bargain deal of the auction.
Former Indian opener and current analyst, Abhinav Mukund, was all praise for the UP Warriorz’s squad during a discussion on Sports 18. He was particularly impressed with the team’s acquisition of Healy, a big-hitting middle-order batter who will add firepower to the team’s batting lineup. Healy’s low price tag makes her acquisition a real steal, especially when compared to the high price paid for some of the Indian players.
The Warriorz have also done well in acquiring a backup seam-bowling option for Shabnim Ismail in the form of Grace Harris. Harris is a versatile player who can contribute to the team’s success with both bat and ball. Mukund was impressed with the team’s overall performance during the auction, highlighting the team’s solid Indian base, which includes Deepti Sharma, Anjali Sarvani, and Rajeshwari Gayakwad.
The UP Warriorz also made some shrewd acquisitions when it comes to overseas players. The team’s first pick was Sophie Ecclestone, the top-ranked bowler in the ICC Women’s T20I rankings. The team also acquired Tahlia McGrath for ₹1.4 crore, a price that is still quite reasonable given her quality as an all-rounder.
The team’s other overseas pick was Lauren Bell, who was bought for just ₹30 lakh, making her one of the most cost-effective acquisitions of the auction. Mukund gave the team a rating of eight out of 10, stating that he liked the overall look of the squad and was particularly impressed with the team’s successful head coach, Jon Lewis.
Overall, the UP Warriorz have assembled a formidable mix of Indian and overseas players, and they will be among the top contenders for the title in the inaugural season of the Women’s Premier League. With a strong batting lineup, a potent bowling attack, and a solid Indian base, the team looks well-equipped to take on any challenge that comes their way.
In summary, here are some of the key takeaways from the UP Warriorz’s performance at the WPL auction: ( WPL Auction 2023 )
- Alyssa Healy was the best bargain deal of the auction at just ₹70 lakh
- Grace Harris is a versatile player who will provide valuable support to the team’s bowling and batting departments
- The team’s solid Indian base includes Deepti Sharma, Anjali Sarvani, and Rajeshwari Gayakwad
- Sophie Ecclestone and Tahlia McGrath are high-quality overseas picks who will add a lot of value to the team
- Lauren Bell was a cost-effective acquisition at just ₹30 lakh
- The team’s head coach, Jon Lewis, is a proven winner who has the experience and expertise to lead the team to success
- The UP Warriorz are among the top contenders for the WPL title in 2023.