Players Ruled Out of Cricket World Cup 2023: The highly anticipated Cricket World Cup 2023 is just around the corner, set to kick off at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad. However, the excitement is tinged with disappointment as several star players have been sidelined due to injuries. In this article, we’ll provide a comprehensive list of these unfortunate cricketing talents who won’t be able to represent their nations in the marquee event.
Cricket World Cup 2023: A Look at Top 10 Injured Players Missing the Tournament
In a tournament known for its unpredictability and high-stakes competition, the absence of key players can significantly impact a team’s performance. Here’s a closer look at the players who will miss the 2023 Cricket World Cup due to various injuries:
1. Rishabh Pant (India)
- Rishabh Pant, the dynamic wicket-keeper batter, suffered a severe setback last year in a near-fatal car accident. As a result, he has been diligently working on his recovery to regain full fitness and make a triumphant return to competitive cricket.
2. Michael Bracewell (New Zealand)
- New Zealand’s all-rounder Michael Bracewell faced an unfortunate injury during England’s domestic T20 tournament. A ruptured right Achilles tendon has ruled him out of the World Cup, and he faces an extended period of healing.
3. Naseem Shah (Pakistan)
- Naseem Shah, hailed as one of the world’s most promising pacers, faced a cruel twist of fate. Just days before the World Cup was set to begin, he sustained an injury during the Asia Cup Super 4 clash against India. Sadly, he hasn’t recovered in time.
4. Ashton Agar (Australia)
- Ashton Agar, a crucial part of Australia’s squad, suffered a calf injury before the T20I series against South Africa. Although he managed to play the first ODI against India, recurring injury issues forced him to miss subsequent games.
5. Ebadot Hossain (Bangladesh)
- Bangladesh’s star Ebadot Hossain faced a severe setback with an ACL injury, ruling him out of the World Cup. Given the nature of his injury, he is expected to be out of action for an extended period.
6. Anrich Nortje (South Africa)
- Anrich Nortje, known for his express pace and IPL experience, suffered a lower back injury. Consequently, he had to withdraw from the South African squad, with Lizard Williams stepping in as his replacement.
7. Wanindu Hasaranga (Sri Lanka)
- Sri Lanka’s superstar Wanindu Hasaranga, especially known for his bowling prowess, couldn’t participate in the ODI World Cup due to a hamstring injury sustained during the Lankan Premier League. His absence was also noted during the Asia Cup 2023.
8. Axar Patel (India)
- Initially included in India’s 15-man squad, Axar Patel encountered an injury setback during the Asia Cup 2023. Unfortunately, he has not yet recovered, and Ravichandran Ashwin has taken his place in the roster.
9. Sisanda Magala (South Africa)
- South Africa’s pace bowler Sisanda Magala continued to struggle with a persistent right knee problem. As a result, Andile Phehlukwayo has replaced him in South Africa’s 15-member squad for the 2023 World Cup.
10. Dushmantha Chameera (Sri Lanka)
- Dushmantha Chameera sustained a pectoral muscle injury while participating in the Lanka Premier League in August. Since then, he has not been able to feature for Sri Lanka’s national team.
Injuries are an unfortunate aspect of sports, capable of shattering the dreams of both players and fans. As the 2023 Cricket World Cup approaches, these missing stars will undoubtedly be felt, but cricket often offers opportunities for new talent to emerge. As we eagerly await the tournament’s commencement, we can hope for thrilling matches and the rise of fresh stars on the grand stage.
Will Kane Williamson be playing in the 2023 Cricket World Cup?
Yes, Kane Williamson is part of New Zealand’s 15-man squad, although he will miss the tournament’s opener due to injury.
When did Rishabh Pant’s injury occur?
Rishabh Pant sustained his injury in a near-fatal car accident last year.
Why was Axar Patel replaced in India’s squad?
Axar Patel was replaced in India’s squad due to an injury he suffered during the Asia Cup 2023.
Who replaced Anrich Nortje in South Africa’s squad?
Lizard Williams stepped in as a replacement for Anrich Nortje in South Africa’s squad after the latter’s lower back injury.
When did Dushmantha Chameera sustain his injury?
Dushmantha Chameera sustained a pectoral muscle injury while playing in the Lanka Premier League in August, and he has not featured for the Sri Lankan team since then.