A teenager in Kerala's Alappuzha district died from a rare brain infection caused by free-living amoebae.

The infection is known as primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (PAM).

Kerala has witnessed a total of five reported cases of this infection, with a 100% mortality rate.

Symptoms of the disease include fever, headache, vomiting, and seizures.

The free-living amoebae responsible for the infection are found in still water sources.

The infection occurs when contaminated water enters the nasal passages.

Preventive measures include avoiding bathing or swimming in contaminated water.

Access to clean water sources and sanitation practices are crucial for prevention.

Medical professionals play a vital role in diagnosis, treatment, and support for affected families.

Visit Allinfohere for more trending news